Patriots for Truth Hypocrisy Digest

Friday, November 19, 2004

Avoid Compcard.com

Over a month ago, I did a portfolio session for a young aspiring model. He wanted 25 comp cards, zed card, compcards, whatever you choose to call them. 25 is a very small number of cards for offset printing. Nevertheless, I found one vendor who would print a short run for a reasonable price, compcard.com.

Let me tell you, it was excruciating. After a day to upload the initial card design, followed by another day after a discussion about the font they chose, they sent me a proof. A week later the proof arrived in my mailbox. The colors were terrible. I spoke with them about the colors, they didn't know how to correct them, so I worked up a curves set that seemed to correct for the color offset of their printer. A day later they agreed that my curves were probably the best way to go about it. I uploaded the design with the corrected colors. I told them not to bother with the second proof and just run the cards, as I was already two weeks into the process and I could see another two weeks going by before I had the cards in hand. Several days later they mailed me a new proof anyway and it arrived about 4 days after that. It was identical to the first proof. I immediately emailed them to complain. Two days later, after hearing nothing I emailed them again and left a message on their answering machine. A week later they sent me an email asking if I had gotten the second proof. This continued until yesterday, 6 weeks after I photographed poor Charlie, I finally have cards to give him, and the colors are still off.

I will never do business with compcard.com again and I recommend that all my colleagues in the photo business avoid them like the plague.
#


Home